Friday, May 20, 2005

Great Writers of The World : Part 1

Hello everybody, this hot summer has made me lazier.

I recently placed an order for a pocket book titled "Great Writers of The World" providing brief introduction to the some great writers of the world and their literary works. Following is the list of the writers along with a book of each respective writer , which I intend to read, as it is said to be his/her greatest work. I am publishingthe list to remember my goals for extra reading.

1. Arthur Canon Doyle. (THE SIGN OF FOUR)
Famous for his legendry detective character Sherlock Holmes, and the story narrator Dr. Watson who is believed to be resemblance of the author himself.

I have purchased the entire work of Doyle a couple of years back very cheaply. I believe copy rights on the works of the author have expired and are available to public domain. (UPDATE : Stories of Sherlock Holmes available here)

SIDE NOTE : I have read somewhere that the so called famous statement of the detective "Elementary, my dear Watson" has actually never appeared in the stories. (I will need to check this)

Contd....

10 comments:

Woodooz said...

That should be one helluva collection... AM going by my instincts as far as my choice of authors go... And since few of my Novel purchases turned very disappointing, am sticking to known authors and popular best sellers... The book am currently reading is Mario Puzo's GODFATHER.

Happy reading and do let us know if Sherlock homes is as good as it sounds :o))))

OptionSeller said...

Thanks for the visit, Somu. Coincidently I have just started reading The Godfather, after watching The Godfather TRIO.

I believe reading a book is more interesting and it allow vivid imagination of our own , rather then watching the movie based on that book, which certainly is the imagination of the director only.

Sangeeta said...

i agree with JV says..i've watched lots of movies based on books..and was very disappointed...
But..there was this Sherlock Holmes series (starring Jeremy Brett)they ran on T.V a long time ago..and I absolutely loved it..

Sangeeta said...

Jv..i've lots of e-books of sherlock holmes...leave ur email address on my blog if u want 'em

OptionSeller said...

Thanks Sangeeta for agreeing to my views and your offer for e-books. coincidently (yes another one on same day:) I found out the site providing e-books of the Arthur Doyle and other great authors. BTW I have complete works of Holems stroies in two sets.

Thanks again.

wwww said...

Books in my bookshelf

1. Huge collection of books written by Bill Gates and written about Bill Gates
2. 8 novels by Sidney Sheldon
3. Microsoft Certified Educational kits
4. Books for my Degree/Master classes
5. 3 encyclopedia books about cats
6. Technical books related with computer

I dont read other than what I have in the bookshelf

OptionSeller said...

It would be a long list if pen down all books in my shelf.

What would you do after you read all the books in your shelf :)

Anonymous Poet said...

Sounds like good reading!

Melissa said...

I think I heard the "elementary, dear watson" somewhere... I think I heard it in the Young Sherlock Holmes movie directed chris columbus! BTW, cool blog, and nice template! and cool! you hve Jughead's pic! one of my fave archie's characters!

OptionSeller said...

I cannot disagree with you that you heard the statement. I meant that it is not found in the original written stories.

Thanks for nice words about my blog.